The gummy bear is all grown up. What was once a popular candy for kids has now become a popular adult treat, especially when infused with cannabidiol (CBD).
As adults, we take gummy supplements for a variety of health benefits, from upping our calcium intake, improving our skin, and even as a multivitamin. As CBD-infused edibles are taking the world by storm, it was a logical next step to combine gummy bears with CBD.
Because CBD is legal in all 50 states, it’s a relatively easy ingredient to procure, and there are some benefits to buying CBD oil or isolate from a retailer and making your own gummies at home.
Will CBD Gummies Get You High?
The answer is no, CBD will not get you high. The cannabinoid that produces a euphoric effect is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Hemp-derived, full-spectrum CBD oil contains less than .3% THC, which is far too little to produce any effect. You can also get THC-free CBD. Therefore, you won’t get high or have to worry about the drug test results.
Why Make Your Own CBD Gummies?
- You can control the concentration of CBD. There’s a wide range of CBD concentrations on the market. Our high-quality CBD oil contains 33mg per mL, so you can easily scale up or down the concentration you add. If you’re new to CBD, you might want to start with a lower dose, while those more experienced with CBD may want to macro dose. If you make your own, you control the concentration.
- You have dietary restrictions. If you’re paleo, vegan, doing keto, or have food allergies, there could be some ingredients in commercially available CBD gummies that are a no-go for you. We’ve provided a recipe here suitable for most dietary restrictions.
- You can make them even more functional. Add grass-fed gelatin and antioxidant-rich fruit juices or powders, and these gummies will be nutritious as well as calming.
- You’re on a budget. CBD gummies can be expensive, especially if you take them regularly. By making them yourself, you can dramatically cut your costs.
- You can make your own shapes. The inner child in us loves the idea of getting a bunch of different molds and making a batch of bears, hearts, stars, marijuana leaves, and even dinosaurs, or sea creatures.
CBD Gummies Recipe
We love CBD gummies because they’re a delicious and low-calorie way to destress. Consuming CBD gummies tends to result in a feeling of calmness, and sometimes a hint of drowsiness. If you tend to lead a stressful life and need help relaxing, CBD edibles might be precisely what you need. No gigantic horse pills required.
For the DIY lovers and chef hobbyists, we’ve created a CBD gummy recipe that is easy to make and will delight your taste buds.
We specifically recommend a full-spectrum hemp extract, which contains additional cannabinoids that enhance the relaxing effects of cannabidiol. Again, it’s important to note here, that even full-spectrum CBD will not get you high. It often does contain low levels of THC, but never above .3%.
If you’re hesitant about making your own CBD gummies because you don’t want to destroy a perfectly good batch of CBD oil, we get it. CBD oil is like liquid gold. However, this recipe is shockingly easy to make, and it results in a consistent product that you can enjoy before bed, while watching Netflix, or at the start of a stressful day. Enjoy!
Tools You’ll Need
- BPA-free, food-grade silicone molds
- Optional: funnel, condiment dispenser bottle, oven mitts or gloves
- 1 cup tart cherry juice (almost any fruit juice will work, but avoid kiwi, pineapple, and papaya because they don’t gel properly)
- 2 tablespoons gelatin
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 mL of 1,000mg Royal CBD’s Full Spectrum CBD Oil
- Heat the fruit juice in a medium saucepan on low heat until it begins to simmer.
- Add the gelatin and honey, whisking until combined (about 1 minute).
- Turn off the heat. Add the CBD oil. Whisk the mixture one more time to distribute all the ingredients evenly.
- Transfer the liquid into your mold. To do this without spilling, use a funnel and pour the liquid into a condiment dispenser bottle to squeeze the concoction into each mold shape. Caution: because the liquid is so hot, the dispenser bottle will also be scalding. Handle with gloves or oven mitts.
- Once you’ve ensured the juice mixture is distributed evenly, transfer the mold to the refrigerator to set.
- Wait at least 30 minutes (ideally an hour, but you can check for doneness after 30 minutes) before removing the gummies from the mold.
- You can store the gummies in an airtight container for up to 10 days. If you live in a warm climate, you may need to store them in the refrigerator.
Calculating Your CBD Dosage
While the mechanical part of making your own CBD oil edibles is relatively simple and straightforward, doing the math to calculate your dosage can be tricky. The good news is that you can decide in advance how strong you want your gummies to be and then add the volume and concentration of CBD that’s right for you.
- Determine the dosage you want from each gummy.
- Multiply that amount by the number of gummies you’re making.
- Check the concentration of the Royal CBD oil you’re using to determine the amount of tincture you need.
For example, let’s say you plan on making 30 gummies and you want each gummy to have 2mg of CBD. Assuming you’re using Royal CBD Full Spectrum 1,000mg Oil, here’s how to calculate the amount you’ll need.
Step 1: 2mg of CBD per gummy x 30 gummies = 60mg of CBD oil
Step 2: 60mg of CBD oil divided by 33mg per mL = 1.8 mL of CBD oil for the recipe
Tips to Ensure Your CBD Gummies Turn Out Chewy and Delicious
- Don’t let the liquid get to a full boil. If the fluid is too hot when you add the CBD oil, it could damage the terpenes and potentially alter the taste.
- Use gelatin, not collagen. Collagen won’t gel, which is crucial to get that gummy texture.
- Grass-fed gelatin provides a significant health benefit, but it’s pricey. You can get similar results from using standard Knox gelatin packets.
- Vitamin C powder adds a burst of flavor while also helping you to up your Vitamin C intake naturally. If you like sour gummies, Vitamin C powder offers that experience.
- If you want a natural, low-calorie sweetener for keto and low sugar diets, allulose provides the best texture. It doesn’t crystallize, tastes just like regular sugar, and it has no aftertaste. Xylitol also works well as a sweetener, but if you have corn sensitivities, avoid the NOW brand, which is derived from corn.
Another note about xylitol is that it’s toxic for dogs and cats, so keep it secure and out of reach if you have fur babies.
- Oil and water have a tumultuous relationship, and they aren’t known for mixing well. This means you’ll have to move fast to prevent them from separating as you add the liquid into your molds.
- The easiest molds to use are the ones that come with droppers. You don’t have to worry about funneling your liquid and dealing with extra equipment.
- Another hack is to use large or jumbo gummy molds. They’re easier to fill, and you also get the benefit of a higher dose of CBD because of the larger surface area.
- Most fruit juices will work well for gummies, but if you want something that’s extra soothing and aids in sleep, aim for tart cherry juice.
Want an Easier Way to Get CBD Gummies?
If you don’t want the hassle of making these chews yourself, you can always buy them instead. Royal CBD’s gummies are THC-free and are uniformly dosed to provide 10mg of CBD per square. Shipping is secure. During warmer months, shipping is expedited and includes an ice pack and insulated packaging.
In addition to the convenience and deliciousness of experiencing a professionally made batch of gummies, another reason to buy them instead of going the DIY route is shelf life. Making your own limits the shelf life to just ten days, while our CBD gummies can last 2 to 3 years.
Granted, you might eat your gummies all in the span of a couple of days, so this might not be a big deal, but it is something to keep in mind if you don’t plan on consuming them right away.
Making your own CBD gummies at home is a fun activity, and it’s relatively easy to do. You might want to experiment with different fruit juices and sweeteners until you find your favorite. That’s all part of the fun, right?